Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Reflections


After 16 busy weeks of classes filled with blog posts, interviews and writing, the 2012 fall semester has finally come to an end. 

My previous six blog posts have taught me a lot about being a journalist. Unlike other assignments I have done in the past, these blog posts provided a realistic situation of sharing my writing. Most of the posts were assigned with tight deadlines, including this one. This provides experience with writing quickly but also accurately. Uploading pieces to the Internet puts pressure on writers because anyone can access their posts, another aspect I hadn’t dealt with in other classes.

Overall, I enjoyed writing these blog posts because they were different from other assignments I had previously done.

Reporting Contemporary Issues, the course at the University of Northern Colorado that these posts are for, made me a better writer.

After reporting on the Greeley City Council meetings, the Northern Colorado Empty Stocking Fund and the 2012 election, I gained valuable experience with interviewing and writing. The more that I conduct interviews and write stories, the easier it becomes.

To students that will be taking this class in the future, I would recommend being aware of all deadlines and due dates. Unlike other classes where you can cram for a test last minute, this class requires scheduling interviews in advance and high-quality writing. As long as planning articles isn’t done last minute, this class is very helpful and informative for any journalism student.

No comments:

Post a Comment